These are the recommended amounts required for a meal for four people. Please adjust the amounts accordingly for more or less people. Also you might already have some of these Thai food ingredients in your larder, so please set the quantity to zero for any ingredients that you already have. All our fresh Thai products are flown in direct from Thailand once a week, ensuring you get the best quality fresh Thai food products. Using fresh Thai produce will ensure you get an authentic taste.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Ready In: 20 minutes
1. Tip 2 tbsp rice into a frying pan and cook over a medium heat until golden then take off the heat and grind to a powder in a pestal and mortar.
2. Deseed the chillies and tip into a food processor with the garlic, spring onion and kaffir lime leaves and blitz until fine. Now add the raw prawns, the ground rice and 2 tsp salt and blitz until smooth.
3. Turn the prawn mixture onto a board sprinkled with cornflour and roll into a long sausage. Cut the roll into 1cm slices then shape into patties and dust with a little cornflour.
4. Pour enough oil into a frying pan or wok so it’s deep enough to cover the prawn cakes and place over a high heat. Once the oil is sizzling hot then add the prawn cakes and fry for 1 minute or until golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on to absorbent kitchen paper.
5. Serve with dipping sauce such as a cucumber, chilli or peanut.
Amount per serving
Saturated fat: 0.3g
Aromatic Thai prawn cakes are popular all over south east Asia, where they are wrapped around sugar cane before cooking. Enjoy as a tasty snack or first course. You can also use the prawn mixture as a filling for steamed wantons, in which case omit the ground rice.