Order ingredients in 1-click
Please note that occasionally some products might be out of stock
Thai Pumpkin Custard Sankaya Fakthong
Sankaya Fakthong is a steamed Thai pumpkin custard dessert that can be found served by the slice in restaurants or at street food vendors throughout Thailand. Think of a rich and creamy coconut based creme brulee style custard with hints of aromatic pandan flavour, sitting inside a delicious soft pumpkin. This is a popular dessert option in Thailand which is perfect for satisfying a sweet tooth without being too filling and even better it’s very straightforward to prepare.
Now, despite being called a pumpkin dessert, Sankaya Fakthong is a Thai recipe which is renowned for the sweet and delicate texture of the custard which is steamed in the centre of a kabocha squash. Yes, that’s correct. An traditionally authentic Thai pumpkin custard uses the small and delicate variety of pumpkin native to Japan otherwise known as the Japanese pumpkin, which is widely available in Thailand. Naturally sweet and tender, the kabocha pumpkin works perfectly with the flavours of the custard while this type of pumpkin is also the ideal small size for steaming the custard inside.
INGREDIENTS (FOR FOUR PEOPLE)
MORE ABOUT THIS RECIPE
Preparation Time: 40 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Ready In: 60 minutes
- First, prepare the pumpkin by cutting a small circle around the stem to create a removable ‘lid’, pull this circle out by the pumpkin’s steam and set aside.
- Next, use a spoon to scoop out the pumpkin seeds in the centre of the pumpkin. Taking care not to scoop out the pumpkin flesh on the sides.
- In a bowl mix together the eggs, coconut milk, palm sugar and salt. Whisking until the sugar dissolves, then add the pandan leaves and mix the custard together with your hands twisting the leaves to release the flavour and aroma.
- One the sugar has dissolved, remove the pandan leaves and strain the custard mixture into a pouring jug. Repeat this step for smoother texture. li>
- Now pour the custard into the prepared pumpkin and gentle stir inside the pumpkin to remove any air bubbles. Pleace the pumpkin stem lid back on top of the pumpkin and steam for 45 minutes. The custard is cooked well when you can place a skewer inside and it comes out clean.
- Once the pumpkin is steamed, leave it to cool and set at room temperature. You can cool the pumpkin further in the fridge for 15 minutes or serve into slices straight away and enjoy.
Amount per serving
- Calories: 186kcal
- Protein: 3.6g
- Fat: 8.3g
- Carbohydrate: 25.4g
- Fiber: 8g
- Sodium: 1279mg
- Cholesterol: 82mg
What's more, thai-food-online.co.uk has been listed as the recommended suppliers to get authentic...Read full endorsement
Master Chef’s Finalist
My experience with Thai Food Online has been great so far. I feel the pricing is so great compared to ....Read full endorsement